How to get Dr. Irene's Advice: Look here!

Ask The Doc Board Archives

The CatBox Archives

Stories Archives


Below is an Interactive Board sampler. A fuller listing is found in the "Stories" menu above.

4/14 Interactive Board: Codependent Partners

3/23 Interactive Board: He's Changing... I'm Not...

3/1 Interactive Board: D/s Lifestyle

1/14 Interactive Board: My Purrrfect Husband

12/12 Interactive Board: What if He Could Have Changed?

10/23 Interactive Board: Quandary Revisited

8/24 Interactive Board: Quandary! What's Going On?

7/20: Dr. Irene on cognitive behavior therapy and mindfulness

6/12 Interactive Board: Unintentional Abuse

11/7 Interactive Board: Is This Abusive?

12/29 Interactive Board: There Goes the Wife...

11/4 Interactive Board: A New Me!

10/8 Interactive Board: Seeming Impossibility

9/8 Interactive Board: My Ex MisTreats Our Son

5/1 Interactive Board: I feel Dead - Towards Him

4/26 Interactive Board: Why is This So Hard?

4/19 Interactive Board: I Lost My Love...

4/7 Interactive Board: Too Guilty!

Falling Apart

Email: Falling Apart at the Seams

Sunday, April 25, 1999

Dear Dr. Irene,

I really need your help. My husband of 8 years has just left me for my best friend a month ago. I realize now he has been verbally abusive for our whole relationship. Now that he has moved out, he continues to want to have sex with me and I did let him a few times, he continues to call me about 5 -6 times a day and comes over at every chance he gets to criticize me and tell me the proper way of doing things. So far I am mostly strong but looking after our 2 children on my own has started to burn me out and I am not able to cope any more. My self esteem is going down again. I need some practical steps I can take to take control and stop his verbal abuse. Please help.


Dear Laura,

You need more help than I can give. This is a very tough time for you and it sounds as though you have mixed emotions over what is going on. Practical Steps: Get some support! Reach out to friends and family. Talk to your pastor or rabbi. Get a good therapist and/or support group - now! Also, you may want to talk to your internist about some medication options if you feel you are having difficulty coping. (Under the circumstances, who wouldn't have difficulty coping?)

My thoughts are with you,

Dr. Irene